Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I, Vigilante

The body’s still warm. Damn boys. Turned it into a mushy pulp. Welts and bruises, too much. The boys went a bit too far with that. The color has become that of a sick eggplant. And the body is still warm. No visible puncture wounds nor traces of bullet entry, though. Good. No blood. Good. My boys learn fast. Blood happens when the head is hit, so that area is generally avoided.

Hands not bound. Neither are the feet. Good. Bound, hah! That happens only in movies. Fingers and toes, though, are obviously broken from the way each digit points to a different direction. The right kneecap has grown to thrice its size. That looks broken, too. Or smashed, whichever came first. One can’t tell really which came first if things happen fast.

And that’s the whole point. Fast.

The face is noticeably intact. No black eye. No broken nose. No busted lip. No blood. Good. Except for the faint trace of a grimace, as if in disturbed sleep.

Another one today and it isn’t even 3 a.m. The one last night was done at the crack of dawn. And the one the day before that had to be finished by midnight.

The boys have become ingenious at this. Yes, there are creative ways to do it. But those guys really hit the jackpot with the idea of taping a piece of paper on the bodies, saying “I am a thief, don’t do what I do or you’ll end up this way, too.” The boys change the script from time to time. There was a “I’m a highway robber. I get on a bus and hostage all the passengers till I get everything I can and jump off. Please don’t copy me or this is how you’ll end up.”

Maybe next time, the boys will have to put the bodies in boxes before leaving them on the streets. This is why commuters and pedestrians that pass this way are safer now. No more pickpockets. No more snatchers. No more holduppers. All done away with. For now, at least. There will always be new ones. Always. Those bastards! They make society sicker than it already is.

Now, crime rate has gone down 48 percent. And the figures are accurate, too. I use the word figure, not statistics. Because stats are doctored lies. They only make one look good. I don’t need statistics. I’m not after looking good with PowerPoint presentations at conferences.

I’m only concerned with the people. They thank me, of course, for safer streets – night and day. That is what counts. Safety. Public safety.

Me and the boys, we do what we have to do. Because if we don’t, the criminals we nab, the courts just let go. Can’t keep on doing that over and over again. What do they think of us? Not busy? We have tons of work to do!

That police station commander of the year award is surely mine this year.


No comments: