Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Guerrilla Happiness

I’m sure you’re happy on your own. And you didn’t need anyone to tell you how to do that. You must have found it yourself! That’s because you are human and was endowed to have this little built-in mechanism to make your life worthwhile – and joyful while meaningful.

Most definitely, you found that happiness on your own, as well – without anybody teaching you or preaching from on high to you.

I am happy, and I come from a country that is happy (in spite of it being poor Third World). We never needed other people to tell us how to find our joie d’vivre. We don’t have the existential angst of not being happy if we haven’t found the ‘truth.’ We have survived thus far without having any “spiritual teacher” or “guide” to “lead us to Him.”

Our means to happiness may be considered guerrilla in nature – covert, unconventional, and with tools and weapons (ways and means) that we only stumble upon along the way. But, hey, it’s the same desired end we come upon, as well.

So, if you, like me, find all these advices about how to find the “truth,” and finding the one true “teacher” so you can meet Him (and this is purportedly the only true “path” to “happiness”), your happiness might just fly out the window!

Oops, the prophets of happiness and prophets of peace might use that to turn around and say, “See! If your happiness is what I’ve been saying as the real thing, then it surely will not fly out the window!”

What to do, great heavens? Pray tell!

If we were to follow the yellow brick road as prescribed by the prophets of truth, we will need a certain ‘someone’ to help us glean the truth, and as soon as we find it, we also would have found Him. Am I right so far? I really don’t read all these write-ups since their titles all look the same, anyway. But, really, one can digest the whole thing from the title alone.

And the plot thickens…

We have read countless statements about this mysterious “teacher” or “true guide” who is supposed to bring us to the truth or meeting Him – or something to all these effects. Just who is this mysterious “teacher” or one true “guide?”

Do you have any ideas as to who this never-named and ever so mysterious Mr. X or Ms. X (hey, I can’t be gender-biased) is? After a barrage of advice write-ups, this mysterious “guide” has remained precisely that – ‘mysterious.’ All reference to him has been left hanging. I wonder what is at the end of this line. I don’t know if you’re as curious as me about this.

Yes, I know that ideas should be freely shared, BUT writing is only half the thing. There are readers to consider. What I’m coming down to is this (and also what I’ve learned through my years of writing): you can only earn your stripes if you respect your readers.

And, most importantly, you can always share your viewpoint but you can NEVER SELL it.

Hard selling of views is yet the death of a writer.


No comments: